What Information Do We Collect and How is It Used?
Information you Voluntarily Submit to the Website: We may collect personal information from you such as your name or email address. For example, you may voluntarily submit information to the Website by leaving a comment, subscribing to the newsletter, or submitting a contact form. In addition, you are able to interact with the Website using your social media accounts, we will store the username, but your password will not be visible in our records.
Information we collect from others: We may receive information about you from other sources. You may link your Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and/or Google accounts to the information you supply to us. If you chose to link your Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and/or Google accounts, we will receive your name, email address and profile picture associated with that account. The Website utilises a social media commenting system, so if you choose to comment on a Website post, your profile picture will appear.
Automatically Collected Information: We automatically collect certain information about you and the device with which you access the Website. For example, when you use the Website, we will log your IP address, operating system type, browser type, referring website, pages you viewed, and the dates/times when you accessed the Website. We may also collect information about the actions you take when using the Website, such as links clicked.
Cookies: We may log information using cookies, which are small data files stored on your browser by the Website. We may use both session cookies, which expire when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which stay on your browser until deleted, to provide you with a more personalized experience on the Website.
How Your Information May be Used:
We may use the information collected in the following ways:
- To operate and maintain the Website;
- To send you promotion information such as newsletters. Each email promotion will provide information on how to opt-out of future mailings;
- To send you administrative communications, such as administrative emails, confirmation emails, technical notices, updates on policies or security alerts;
- To respond to your comments or inquiries;
- To provide you with user support;
- To track and measure advertising on the Website;
- To protect, investigate, and deter against : or illegal activity.
Third-Party use of Personal Information
We may share your information with third parties when you explicitly authorize us to share your information. Additionally, the Website may use third-party service providers to service various aspects of the Website. Each third-party service provider’s use of your personal information is dictated by their respective privacy policies.
The website currently uses the following third-party service providers:
- Google Analytics: this service tracks Website usage and provides information such as referring websites and user actions on the Website. Google Analytics may capture your IP address, but no other personal information is captured by Google Analytics.
- SoundCloud: this service is used to host the Podcasts section of the Website. SoundCloud may capture your information to provide the Website with information about listening behaviour of the podcasts
At this time, your personal information is not shared with any other third-party applications. This list may be amended from time to time in the Website’s sole discretion.
Except when required by law, we will not sell, distribute, or reveal your email addresses or other personal information without your consent; however, we may disclose or transfer personal information collected through the Website to third parties who acquire all or a portion of our business, which may be the result of a merger, consolidation, or purchase of all or a portion of our assets, or in connection with any bankruptcy or reorganisation proceeding brought by or against us.
Publicly Visible Information
If you comment on the Website or leave a comment, certain information may be publicly visible. To comment on a post, you must log-in through your social media accounts. Users may see your username, avatar, profile description and website information.
Users may, at any time, prevent the setting of cookies, by the Website, by using corresponding setting of your internet browser and may thus permanently deny the setting of cookies. Furthermore, already set cookies may be deleted at any time via an Internet browser or other software programs. This is possible in all popular Internet browsers. However, if users deactivate the setting of cookies in your Internet browser, not all functions of our Website may be entirely useable.
Affiliate Program Participation:
The Website may engage in affiliate marketing, which is done by embedding tracking links into the Website. If you click on a link for an affiliate partnership, a cookie will be placed on your browser to track any sales for purposes of commissions.
On the Website, you may subscribe to our newsletter, which may be used for advertising purposes. All newsletters sent may contain tracking pixels. The pixel is embedded in emails and allows an analysis of the success of online marketing campaigns. Because of these tracking pixels, we may see if and when you open an email and which links within you click. Also, this allows the Website to adapt the content of future newsletters to the interests of the user. This behaviour will not be passed on to third parties.
Rights Related to Your Personal Information
If you are within the European Union you are entitled to certain information and have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). These rights include:
- We will retain any information you chose to provide us with until the earlier of:
o You asking us to delete the information;
o Our decision to cease using our existing data providers; or,
o The Website decides that the value in retaining the data is outweighed by the costs of
- You have the right to request access to your data that the Website stores, and the right to either rectify or erase your personal data.
- You have the right to seek restrictions on the processing of your data.
- You have the right to object to the processing of your data and the right to the portability of your data.
- To the extent that you provided consent to the Website’s processing of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based upon consent that occurred prior to your withdrawal of consent.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority that has jurisdiction over issues related to GDPR
- We require only the information that is reasonable required to enter into a contract with you. We will not require you to provide consent for any unnecessary processing as a condition of entering into a contract with us.
- Should you wish to have your information deleted, please email us at email@example.com submit a request.
Opt-Out – You may opt-out of future email communications by following the unsubscribe links in our emails. You may also notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org be removed from our mailing list.
Access – You may access the personal information we have about you by submitting a request to Christopher@thetravellingwriter.co.uk
Amend – You may contact us at email@example.com amend or update your personal information
Forget – You may request that we erase or forget your personal data. To do so please submit a request to Christopher@thetravellingwriter.co.uk
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for record-keeping purposes or to complete transactions, or when required by law.
Sensitive Personal Information
This Website does not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 16. If a parent or guardian believes that the Website has personally identifiable information of a child under the age of 16 in its database, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org we will use our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.
Last Updated: 11/04/2020